Monday 18 May 2015

Being (Green) Juicy

Drinking juice. That's the super trendy health thing right now. 


Sometimes, when I feel like making a mess of my kitchen, I embark on the journey of making juice without a juicer. I do this so I can get a whack of nutrients from fresh fruit and veg without wearing our my jaw from all the chewing. 


Check out this spread: Carrots, celery, apple, lemon, bell pepper, romaine, kale.
I blended all of that in my blender with the help of some water. I then passed it through some cheesecloth in a sieve, into a big bowl. 


I squeezed and squeezed the cheesecloth until I was left with a good amount of liquid, and the pulp in the cheesecloth was nearly dry. I keep the pulp in the freezer to use for baking. 


The colour gets me every time. I love it! It looks great, and tastes great.



Making juice without a juicer isn't difficult, but it is time-consuming and makes a bit of a mess. (It makes a significant mess if you're me and don't check that the bottom of the blender is screwed on tightly enough, so halfway through blending, all this green muck starts leaking through the bottom and gets everywhere, and you freak out because it could possibly ruin your blender forever. But don't worry, the blender is safe, but you did add about twenty minutes to this juice-making journey)



I've experimented with different combinations of things to make juice. I don't typically follow a "recipe", since I use what produce I have. Carrot, apple, and lemon are usually the three things that are in all the juices I've made before. I like the combination of carrot, apple, ginger, and beet. Celery and pepper make the juice really savoury, almost like V8. Dark leafy greens give juice an awesome hue, which can make you feel way more badass drinking it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment